(aka Irlen syndrome, visual dyslexia, scotopic sensitivity)
Do words or letters appear to jump or move on a page?
Do you wear sunglasses and/or a ball cap indoors because the light is too bright?
Do you struggle with migraines or eyestrain from reading, homework, computer work or fluorescent lighting?
Or perhaps you are dealing with the perceptual distortions that often follow a stroke, concussion or other brain injury?
There is a very high possibility that Visual Stress is a part of the problem. Visual Stress is a type of sensory processing disorder (visual sense) which is a neurological condition characterized by hyperactivity of the brain’s visual cortex. When this area is not processing visual information properly, the result is visual and perceptual distortions.
It is possible that precision colour filters can help. Lisa's Holistic Rehab can work with your optometric team or refer you to a qualified team and together we can find the right solution.
The process involves:
- A screening by OT to see if you can benefit from colorimetry.
- Get an updated vision prescription from optometrist
- A 90 min colorimetry test by the trained OT to determine the precise coloured filtered lenses.
- Buy your frames with your optician; your vision prescription and colour is sent to the lab to prepare lenses, and the trained* optician puts the lenses in your frame.
- Enjoy your new color and reduced symptoms!
*optician must be trained with the process. Ask the OT for a list of trained opticians in your area.